Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Strawberries, Wine and Trains

Thursday 12th was to be the only full day that Ian, Sally and girls spent with us.

This was also the day to discover that the cable to the SAT NAV was not working. We manually followed the family to 'Strawberry Patch'. Here Zoe had a happy hour picking fresh strawberries and we had coffee.

From here we followed to 'Clearwater' winery. The best part was sampling the product. The final one 'Sea Red' was particularly tasty and we have a bottle to share and eat chocolates with. After lunch the family went back as the girls were tired. We wondered around the vineyards and spoke to a young Kiwi man who was humping barrels. He was not looking forward to returning to his studies in Uni next week. I guessed what he was earning money for and left him with the wish that he did not drink it all at once.

We found our way back to Napier, being particularly pleased to find the 'Rothman's Building' again and bodly enter the foyer to photograph interior Art Deco details.

In the afternoon Ian, Zoe and myself made our own journey into 'Train World'. Zoe enjoyed controlling the engines on the Thomas layout, but we spent nearly an hour there because of the play she had on the wooden Thomas layout.

The largest central model was a very imaginary (no comment) model of British trains. The star model was one that started life as a model of Us scene, became Napierised, was purchased and presented to the town. A ride round on a miniature railway completed Zoe's time there.
Here we go again; 'where are my glasses?'. We had just driven off. Ian drove round to the front of 'Train World' and waited in a parking bay. I retraced my steps around Train World and then along the alley back to where we had parked. Coming back to the car I was giving up and beginning to hope that I had left them back in the house. At this point I spied them on a low wall. There is a God who watches over lost spectacles and a helpful Kiwi who picked them up of the pavement. Thank you both; if you are reading this.
On the way home Ian called in to to sort out the SAT NAZ. Zoe had gone to sleep in the back. I began to feel hotter and hotter. At which point I tried to open the door. Locked in. So I tried the windows - electric. I didn't try the air con - no power. In desperation I twiddled a lock on the door. This triggered the alarm. Ian dashed straight out laughing and gave me the keys. No I had air - even air con. After lengthy negotiations Ian appeared with the new SAT NAV cable.
Home for tea, walk and bed.

No comments: