Monday, August 10, 2009

John and the Galston Gorge

The two events are totally unconnected. I have been communicating with John Walker for some time before travelling to Australia and by internet during our time here. I wanted to know something about the church here and John graciously responded to my request to meet up.


I had a suspicion that Australia was quite Christian and I had already had this confirmed when I read the weekend paper before meeting John. I learned that this state of of NSW was the most religious with 76% believers, but even more telling was the news; I quote, trying not to give offence that Tasmania has the largest percentage of 'People living in sin before they are married' of any other state. Wow - have they not come across the term cohabitation or 'partner'?

John was very Australian, more than punctual, very polite and generous and somewhat older than me. We enjoyed coffee in 'Gloria Jeans' which is a chain of cafes that John tells me are connected with the 'Hill Song' church. After a good, long conversation we parted company and I will try to keep in touch.

When I got home I could not find my key. It did not dawn on me to ring the bell of the locked front door so I made my way around the back with the intention of tipping out the contents of all the pockets on my bag and person. It was then that I saw mum sitting in the dining room having lunch. This did not help find my key, so back to 'Gloria Jeans' I drove in the Camry. I had rightly surmised that the key had fallen from my bum-bag when I took out my wallet and lo and behold the assistant passed over the shiny red key.

Berowra Creek at Galston Gorge

There was time for lunch and, because the Camry was available, a short trip out to the bush was in order. We headed for the Galston Gorge, not knowing whether we would be able to stop near it. Google street view had covered it, but I saw no sign of parking. Before the gorge bridge is a steep down hill very winding road. The bridge is a single lane plank bridge and there was a small car park and once again we found ourselves by the Berowra Creek and on the Great North Walking Track. We had time for a short steep and rugged ramble and back home to let Sally pick up the girls from their first day at their new child care. I am told that the facility was appreciated by all.

No comments: