Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fifth Week

This week was always going to be a 'quiet' one. But as I write, on Friday afternoon, there is some noise, as both girls have 'play dates'.

The first day was very quiet. We had a short walk and sat and read.

On Tuesday we went off for a longer walk. This took us through the streets to Churchill Park. We entered by a way we had not used before. Along the start of the path were some beautifully kept houses and one had a very strange garden ornament. It was a very hot day and we struggled up a steep path to the open part of the area. I saw the stump of a large tree. It was flat and it looked like a good place to sit. Before Irene arrived I found sticky toffee-like stuff on my book and thought that it must have come from the sweets in my bag. Irene sat down and we discovered that the sticky stuff was sap. Irene is now looking for a method of rescuing our clothes.
Mr Bunny with mobile phone
and sneakers
Grey Heron - also found by the seashore

We had a chat with a retired individual before deciding that it was too hot. We really did struggle to walk back home.

The evening was very different. Our friends, Stefan and Debbie collected us from the house and took us down to Mission Bay for dinner in a restaurant called 'Masala'. It was an Indian restaurant. I was surprised how busy it was for a weekday evening. I think we all ordered chicken tikka masala. It was delicious. This we washed down with Bunderburg ginger beer. Stefan generously paid for this part of the meal which was at the Tuesday special price of $10 (£5). I paid for the chocolate cake. This came on a long, white porcelain dish. The cake and cream were at one end and the remainder of the plate was decorated by a trail of red and chocolate sauce. Which was also delicious.

Sally invited us all to come back to the house for coffee. And this was an enjoyable way to end the evening.

We are very concerned for Stefan. He has been unemployed since August. However, he is planning to take his 'Noah's Ark' presentation into Ponsonby on Saturday. There is a Europe festival (Gay Pride Festival) in the park there.

Wednesday was completely unplanned. Emily had woken up with a pain in her leg. Ian wisely decided that if I went with them in the car I could bring it back so that if the school called we could go up to collect her. On the way back the text alert sounded and so, thinking that it might be a message about Emily, I pulled over. It was just a text from Vodophone. Annoying.

While we had the car we thought that it would be a good opportunity to do some local shopping. I bought more shoes and some gifts at the Warehouse before going to Pak 'n Save for some of our weekly shopping.

As it turned out, Emily was fine and there has been no recurrence of the pain.

The weather forecast continued to show it would be fine so we set off to walk to Bastion Point. I wanted to carry flip-flops to go in the sea and I also had a book and my usual camera bits. I borrowed a back pack from Sally.

We set off, cutting across Vellenoweth Green to the trees which Irene now knows to be Moreton Bay Figs. These are of Australian origin and so do not appear in books naming NZ trees.

A private monorail (A photo for doubters)
The tide was well in and we were able to cut across Kohimaramah Beach, eventually arriving at Mission Bay. It was time for morning coffee which we had at Bar Comida. The blueberry muffins were very different from what is usually served. They had a more level top and were moist and fluffy. They were served warm with butter.

I paid. This is the place were the trouble starts. A senior moment was on its way. I walked out of the cafe putting the change and receipt into my wallet as I walked.

Across the bay it looked like serious rain and we felt a few spots. We saw a sign pointing to an art exhibition. Nothing came of it. We crossed back to the flight of steps which would take us to the top of the cliff and on to the Michael Joseph Savage Memorial Park. You may remember from a previous blog that MJS was NZs first labour prime minister. We read more about him on the plaques and it would seem that he was instrumental in securing Bastion Point for the Maoris. I shall return to this.



The gardens are beautiful and the views spectacular. I also enjoyed watching a professional photographer strutting about with a young couple and their children. It was hard to know what the occasion was. As always there were the swarms of Chinese people. Along the drive to the monument there were two long strips looking like newspapers. The text was mostly in Chinese and the English told us that it was all about denouncing the Chinese leadership and encouraging people not to become party members.

I wanted to see if I could find the Maori memorial which I mentioned in a previous blog. We were the only visitors prepared to make the upward trek. As we did so we noticed what seemed to be a group of school children being spoken to as they stood around a Maori Marae, which we had not known about before. 


To the left was the memorial. We made our way across. It was here that the senior moment began to move up a gear. I patted my pocket to find that my wallet had gone. The main issue was that the wallet held my credit and debit cards. Irene said that she saw me put the wallet in my pocket.

We retraced our steps to the MJS memorial and searched everywhere, including the litter bins. There were a lot of people around and we concluded that someone must have picked it up by now. We made our way down to Mission Bay and the Community Police Office. A kindly man took our details. He asked us which part of the UK we had come from. He told us that he was from Surrey. I asked him how long ago. He said that it was 50 years ago when he came here on holiday, but he had got a job married and now had seven grandchildren. I told him that he was really a Kiwi. You don't have conversations with wonderful people like this unless things go wrong. He then told me that a short time ago someone had stolen his wife's purse and had immediately used the card to get phone credit.

We said our good byes and went off at speed. The distance on the flat seemed endless, but there was no let up on the steep hill. Back in the house I switched on the computer with the intention of finding a number to ring and report a missing credit card. While I waited I decided to check the bag. There was the wallet. I rushed outside to wave it to Irene who was still some way off. How it got into the bag is still a mystery. Who had the senior moment?

This is a complex day for Sally who has one girl to get to Pippins and another to Netball with quite an overlap. My role to go with her, drop Emily off at Pippins and go with Zoe to netball in order to stay with her until she returned.


You might be bigger and older but I'm
not afraid of you.

It was quite windy, with a threat of rain like last week. And, as last week, the opposing team were much older. A cry from someone in St Heliers team was that the opponents have got boys and boobs.

Zoe made a commendable performance. She focussed all the time and did some good interceptions and throws. However, once the scorers and broken free they were unstoppable. St Heliers did score this time. Suddenly they broke free, found the space and scored a goal.

Sally returned just before the end and we went home via McDonalds, where apart from kid's meals we ordered portions of 'The Return of the New Zealand Legend'. This meant 'Georgie Pie'. It is a steak mince and cheese pie. Apparently McDonalds bought out this pie company when then came to New Zealand. People here can remember them being $1 (50p) a pie.

On Friday the hot weather returned with a vengeance and threatened to be in the high twenties by the afternoon. We planned our walk for the morning to go to the seats at Glover Park. One of the seats was in the shade and so we headed for this. Irene complained that she was too cold so we moved to the third one; giving the centre, rocky one a miss.

After some photography and reading for an hour we moved off. We went down to the park and up to the other part of the cliffs. The path from Glover Park cliffs to there must have fallen into the sea some time before.

At the corner of Cliff Road is an area with Maori monuments and a short pier which gives good views, especially of the nudist beach on Ladies Bay. All we could see was seemed to be a man sunning his rear end. Despite having my telephoto lens I showed the right courtesy of not taking a photograph.


We carried on walking down to St Heliers, across to the post office and up to the house.
St Heliers Beach
Hybiscus in a lovely colour
 The afternoon was peaceful, then play dates happened. For most part I kept out of the way until just about the end.

Often things just happen. On Saturday Ian and Zoe went off for a round of golf. After lunch Sally, Irene and I set off to do some shopping in a place called Albany while Ian had charge of the girls.

Albany is over the bridge on North Shore. To the west there was, what could only be described as 'angry clouds'. They were moving our way. Not only was it is was also very humid. From time to time there was precipitation. (It is hard to describe the warm, fine mist in any other way.) The forecasted thunder never came our way.

Since we last went, the shopping area of Albany has developed appreciatively. 

I had the task of shopping for some kitchen appliances but despite walking a great distance I was unsuccessful. At one point I was convinced that the sky was going to open. Just before re-entering the mall I thought that I would try an electrical store. It was one of those places where there are more staff than customers. I had a good conversation with a man who was about a year younger than me. He told me that he was working for one thing. He showed me on his phone. It was a very large cabin cruiser on which he had spent $60,000 last year.

Back in the mall I waited for the ladies to return from their shopping. Before leaving we had coffee at 'The Muffin Break'. Sadly they had no muffins.

Sally drove us home where we changed and then were taken down to St Heliers for a meal. This we had in the Thai restaurant overlooking the bay. It was a delicious meal but the hotness labelling was a tad lower than what we have in the UK. Medium means medium hot.

Following the meal we went along for ice-creams. Having tasted two flavours I went for the honeycomb. We sat on a bench looking over a dramatic sky.

The evening temperature did not lower. At about 8 o'clock I went out of the air-conditioned house into oven-like heat.

By Sunday morning it was cooler and it passed quickly. I went off with Ian for some stuff. He took me into Bunnings. As I have said before, NZ DIY stores off a much vaster range of products than any UK stores. The area that Ian looks after has around 10,000 products. In the afternoon all the family had a party to attend. Irene and I went off to Sylvia Park where I was able to find the things that I could not find yesterday.

In the middle of next week Irene and I are booked to fly and spend a week touring the Canterbury area, starting and finishing at Christchurch.

No comments: