Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chimney Sweep

I forgot to mention the chimney sweep.
I love talking to real Kiwis. This gentleman who came to sweep the chimney was a real Kiwi of many generations. His story was that his something, something grandfather came to New Zealand in 1840. He came has a retired soldier to be a 'Fencible'. A Fencible was given a plot of land by the government and was expected to defend the Pakia against the Maori whenever necessary. His plot was in South Auckland. He was mentioned again in 1896 as being the oldest pensioner in New Zealand.
The chimney sweep was also proud of the fact that there was no Maori blood in his family line. I am told that this is something of a rarity.

The weather has suddenly changed. Summer is over. The mornings are darker and colder. Mum is in cardigans. I am wearing a top, but still in short sleeves, short and trainers with no socks.

I went down to St Heliers this morning for some turps. I took the precaution of taking a waterproof. The rain comes very suddenly and equally heavily. As I neared the town the rain was visibly moving up the sea front towards me. I thought that I would make it to shelter. On the corner just before crossing to the shops a silver coloured car pulled up in front of me. I was certain that it was Ian coming to the rescue. I started to get in. It was in fact a stranger waiting to pick up his wife. Sorry! sorry! Leg it. As soon as I had made my purchase the rain stopped, so with soggy short bottoms and a very wet coat I made my way back. By the time I reached home I was bone dry.

Sheets of rain are still coming. The workman are trying to set up the marquees for the 'Around the Bays' fun run/walk on Sunday.

No comments: